Thursday, September 16, 2010

Che Chuoi

Che Chuoi:  Tapioca, Coconut and Banana Dessert
My first introduction to Che Chuoi was in college.  A friend used to invite a few of us over to his house for lunch every Saturdays.  We were planning to take over the world then.  We wanted to write a software and start an empire ... bwahahahahaha!

His wife would cook us various authentic vietnamese dishes.  She cooks in the kitchen all morning and then leaves us with the food.  I always felt bad about that but I was always assured that's "traditional".

Well, the software idea eventually fizzled but my love of vietnamese food continued.

One of the things that was always served at these get-togethers was Che (pronounce je-yuh).  I believe I've had a variation of this in Chinese restaurants which was given as a dessert and always, always watered down.

There's a Filipino version as well, called Ginataan.  It has a lot more ingredients and far more time-consuming to make.  So, while Ginataan is still my favorite, the Vietnamese Che has made its way to my favorites of things to eat.

This is very easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 days.  I enjoy it as breakfast most days.  I sometimes just heat it up and add more bananas if necessary.   I even vary it sometimes and add some sweet potatoes or jackfruit.

Vietnamese Food Recipe:  Che Chuoi

3 cups water
1/3 cup small tapioca pearls
2 cups of bananas
14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Chopped peanuts (optional)

  1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.  Add the tapioca stirring to make sure it doesn't stick to the saucepan and to avoid clumping.  Cook for about 10 minutes.
  2. Cut the bananas lengthwise then crosswise into 1 inch pieces.
  3. When the tapioca is done, add the coconut ilk, sugar and salt.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.
  4. Add the bananas and cook for another 2 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, if using.
  6. Serve hot or warm and top with some chopped peanuts, if using.

No comments:

Post a Comment