Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pickled Carrots and Daikon (Do Chua)

Pickled Carrots and Daikon
Next up is Everyday Pickled Carrots.  Daikon is optional.  Carrots by itself is sufficient but the daikon gives it a much more beautiful appearance which I believe is important when serving food.Because this is pickled, I thought it would be okay to keep it in the brine in the jars the first time I made this.  Don't do this.  After an hour of soaking the carrots and daikon, remove it from the brine and store for about 5 days.

I'm into pickling these days because I bought meself a mandolin.  Ah, yes!  Deadly looking thing juliennes like no other!

After my posts of accompaniments for Vietnamese dishes, I will post on actual recipes that use them.  Just you wait!

Vietnamese Food Recipe:  Pickled Carrots and Daikon

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups julienned carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups julienned daikon
  1. In a medium sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add water, vinegar, sugar and pepper if using.  Bring to a boil then lower heat for and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  2. Allow to cool.
  3. Scoop daikon and carrots from the brine and store or serve (should keep in the refrigerator for 5-7  days).

No comments:

Post a Comment